INTERNAL MEDICINE SERVICE AT TVEH
Internists focus on diagnosing and treating diseases of the body's internal systems such as the gastrointestinal tract and liver; endocrine system; cardiac, respiratory and urinary systems. As in people, a great number of medical disorders can affect our pets, including infection, immune disorders, and cancer. Most diseases are diagnosed by using a combination of careful history-taking, detailed physical exam and specific diagnostic tests. Board-certified internists have an extensive and up-to-date knowledge base that aids in diagnosing and treating complex medical cases.
The TVEH team of Board Certified Internists includes Dr. Kelly Mitchell, Dr. Katrina Smith and Dr. Vlad Stojanovic. All have extensive experience in managing a wide range of conditions.
They may use a number of diagnostic tools including:
- Ultrasonography - thoracic and abdominal
- Endoscopy - upper and lower gastro-intestinal, bronchoscopy, rhinoscopy, cystoscopy and vaginoscopy
- X-ray imaging, CT and MRI scan
- Blood pressure evaluation and ECG assessment
- Biopsy - fine needle, Tru-Cut & ultrasound-guided
- Bone marrow aspiration & evaluation
As well, internists are experts in dealing with other medical challenges, such as:
- Endoscopic foreign body retrieval
- Lithotripsy for non-surgical removal of urinary stones
- Cancer staging and chemotherapy
- Nutrition-related disorders
The Internal Medicine team works closely with your regular veterinarian in developing a plan for ongoing care. In addition, our entire team of specialists routinely collaborates on challenging cases to ensure the most comprehensive care.
If you think your pet might benefit from specialized veterinary care, please discuss possible referral with your regular veterinarian.
CALL: 416-247-VETS (8387)
We are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year for all pet emergencies.
Click here to send us a message through our online form.